We want you to spend your time outdoors enjoying your space rather than . That’s why Loll furniture is made to be as maintenance-free as possible; which is why our soft seating collections like Nisswa, Platform One, and Sunnyside are all made with Sunbrella fabrics for the best performance in the elements and everyday use. You may be asking, “Why is Sunbrella so durable?”. Give a read below to learn more about Sunbrella materials and several tips and tricks to clean this soil and stain repellent fabric.
Why Does Loll Use Sunbrella Fabric?
Sunbrella Fabric is considered one of the best options available for fabric in the outdoor market and is ultra-durable. Sunbrella is used for indoor/outdoor and even marine applications and boasts a proprietary dying process that creates long-lasting, fade resistant color while maintaining the fabrics strength even with years of use. This durability makes Sunbrella a top choice for Loll’s cushions and soft seating collections. Beyond the fact that Sunbrella is one of the best fabric choices on the market, they are also committed to sustainability as a company. Sunbrella continuously works to reduce its manufacturing waste and uses dying methods that create less wastewater. We also want to point out that Sunbrella fabrics are coated with a non-PFOA Soil & Stain Repellent and have built-in UV protection and fade resistance. These features mean you can enjoy Sunbrella products longer and consume less. The idea of products designed for longevity is key at Loll Designs, which is why we use the durable materials we do.
What Are Loll’s Soft Seating Collections Made of?
Loll has multiple soft-seating collections that use Sunbrella fabrics for our cushions. Whether you have chosen a piece from the Nisswa, Platform One, or Sunnyside collection, they all use quality materials designed to be withstand the elements and be maintenance-free. Loll’s soft seating cushions are constructed using a foam cushion sealed in a vapor barrier. After the cushion has been sealed, it is placed inside a Sunbrella cushion cover. We seal our cushions with a vapor barrier to prevent water from saturating Loll's soft seating. This vapor barrier means the cushion is less susceptible to mold growth and will dry quicker, so you don’t end up with a wet butt from a cushion you thought was dry. The final layer of our cushions is the Sunbrella cover that encloses the cushion is also water resistant and designed to bead water off of it. Sunbrella fabric is also UV and fade-resistant and coated with a non-PFOA Soil and Stain Repellent. On our soft seating collections, the frame is crafted from HDPE Poly. We use HDPE Poly because it is extremely durable and is built to be outside. Our HDPE is fully pigmented and uses a UV stabilizer to maintain the richness of the poly colors.
What are Loll’s Cushion Accessories Made of?
Loll’s accessory cushions are built slightly differently from the Loll soft seating but still feature many of the same benefits and have identical cleaning instructions. Loll’s accessory cushions feature an open cell foam wrapped in a water-repellent film and placed into a Sunbrella fabric cover. The construction of the accessory cushions is designed to repel water through both the water-repellent film and the Sunbrella fabric which will naturally bead water off of it. Sunbrella also does not promote mold or mildew and the cushion is thinner than our soft seating options, allowing the cushions to dry fully at a faster rate. Like all Sunbrella fabric, this cover is coated with non-PFOA Soil and Stain Repellent and is UV and fade-resistant.
What Preventative Maintenance Can You do For Your Sunbrella Fabric?Patio season shouldn’t be spent deep cleaning. Avoid needing to clean your Sunbrella Fabric cushions with preventive measures to keep your Loll Designs furniture looking good as new.
Wipe Down Your Furniture as Needed.
- By taking the time to wipe off dirt and other spills when they happen, you avoid needing to do a deep cleaning and can focus on a spot clean with water and mild soap. The faster you tackle accidental spills and stains, the quicker you can begin enjoying your outdoor space again.
Consider a Cover For Your Soft Seating.
- Loll now offers custom covers that fit your Nisswa and platform one furniture. These Sunbrella Sur-Last covers offer extra protection from bird splatters, deciduous trees, or other elements. Adding a cover allows you to stress less and have your pieces clean and ready for anything, anytime!
Bring Indoors or Store When Not in Use
- Loll Furniture is designed to handle all seasons, but you can still store your pieces when they are not in use for extra protection from the elements. This will keep dirt and grime away from your furniture items so when you are ready to set up your outdoor space, your furniture is too.
How do you clean Sunbrella fabric?
Over time, dirt and residue can build up on outdoor furniture and create mold or mildew growth. If this happens, you will want to clean the furniture for a refresh and reset, so you can enjoy it for years to come. We have broken out our best tips for maintaining your cushions and soft seating, but to see the full cleaning instructions for Sunbrella Acrylic Fabric, you can also visit their cleaning page. You will notice that all our tips recommend air-drying your cushions. Sunbrella has some machine-washable fabrics, but for our soft seating and cushions, we don't recommend this.
- When accidents happen, blotting your cushion is the best way to start. DON'T RUB but take a clean damp cloth and press it into the stain. You can apply some pressure to soak up the stain. Rinse and repeat this to pull up as much of the stain as possible.
- For small stains or spills, you can attempt to spot-clean your piece of furniture. Order Loll's cleaning kit for everything you need or create a solution of ¼ cup of mild soap per gallon of lukewarm water and grab a soft bristle brush to agitate the stain. Since you have pulled up as much of the stain as possible with blotting, this is an ideal next step. Allow the cleaning solution to soak the fabric, then scrub with the soft bristle brush. Rinse and repeat until you feel confident the stain is gone. You should rinse the piece to ensure you get all the soap solution out of the fabric. Let the piece air dry, and then you are all set.
- If you are nervous about creating water rings or leaving residue behind, a seam-to-seam cleaning is a great option. For this method, you will want to clean the fabric from seam to seam rather than a spot clean. You can also use an extractor for cleaning your furniture piece. Like all cleaning methods for Loll cushions, you will want to air dry the fabric.
Cleaning Mold and Mildew
- Sunbrella fabrics do not promote mold or mildew growth, but you can still get growth of mold or mildew from dirt or residue left on the cushion. If you have mold or mildew, use a diluted bleach solution to remove it. This solution should be 1 cup of bleach and ¼ cup of mild soap per gallon of water. You should place this in a spray bottle and saturate the fabric evenly all over. Give the solution fifteen minutes to sit. Then you can clean the entire surface with a sponge, clean towel, and soft bristle brush. You will want to remove any remaining residue by rinsing the fabric. Once finished cleaning, you can air-dry the cushion and return to lollygagging!
Cleaning Oil-Based Stains
- If you spill something oil-based, like some salad dressing from lunch on the patio, use this cleaning method to lift the stain! You will want to attempt to lift the stain immediately by applying an absorbent like corn starch directly on the spill. Let this sit for 10 minutes, then remove the excess absorbent with a ruler or straight edge. Once the extra absorbent is gone, you can tackle this stain with the same cleaning method you would use for spot cleaning.
Although spills and stains can happen, we hope these cleaning tips for getting stains out of your outdoor furniture will help you worry less, knowing that your furniture is designed to be durable. With Loll Designs’ decision to use weatherproof and maintenance-free materials, you can enjoy your spaces rather than worrying about maintaining them. So, grab a seat and a drink to take in the sunny days. With Loll furniture, you can feel ready for patio season on day one!